Achieving Communication Success
Our classes are designed to guide people with hearing difficulties to a better understanding of the intricacies of the hearing process and to help them develop strategies for handling difficult listening situations.
Participants will be encouraged to assume responsibility for managing their communication settings and will be shown how to get the most out of their assistive devices. These classes are also designed to help family members and friends understand the challenges of hearing loss and to demonstrate techniques to make communication more effective.
These classes are open to the public at no charge.
Our Listening and Communication Classes
- To understand some of your own hearing related problems
- To share these problems with your family and friends
- To seek, jointly, some accommodations and solutions for better communication
The “3-Legged Stool” of Communication
- The Talker – achieving better speech clarity
- The Listener – achieving better listening clarity
- The Environment – controlling the noise
- Basic Rules of Communication: for those with hearing loss and for those communicating with someone with a hearing loss.
- Analyzing the source of the communication problem
- Learning the appropriate actions
Introduction to Optional Classes
- How the Ear Works
- Assistive Listening Devices
- Caring for Your Hearing Instruments
- Tinnitus: Causes and Treatments